You can keep most things in a self-storage container, but there are some items that are not allowed.
The full list will vary from supplier to supplier. But as a rule of thumb you will not be able to store any of the following in your container:
● Food or anything else perishable unless it’s securely packed so it can’t attract vermin
● Domestic animals, fish, birds and all other living creatures
● Anything combustible or flammable, such as gas canisters and compressed gas, tins of solvent-based paint, cans of petrol or oil, and cleaning solvents
● Vehicles with petrol in the tanks
● Any type of firearm, ammunition, and explosives
● Radioactive material, biological agents, and certain chemicals
● Any kind of toxic waste, asbestos in any form, and any other potentially hazardous materials
● Anything that emits fumes, a smell or odour.
This list isn’t exhaustive and if you’re not sure about something, you must ask for on-site guidance.